How to Choose a Perfect Name For Chihuahua
Chihuahuas are the smallest breed of dog in the world and one of the most popular as well. They are named after the Mexican state they were discovered in, which explains why the Spanish names are so popular for this breed … and why a Chihuahua is the mascot of Taco Bell!
While searching for the names of your new Chihuahua, the most important thing to remember is to choose the name you like and that also suits your dog. To help you do this, here are four suggestions, specifically suitable for Chihuahuas, you may want to:
1) You can look for a name that refers to the most obvious physical attribute of your dog: its size. In this case, names like Atom, Gadget, Peanut, Tic Tac and Tinkerbell could fit together.
2) You can find a name that refers to the Spanish heritage of your dog. Bonita (beautiful), Chiquita (girl), Carlos and Geraldo are examples of names in Spanish.
3) Look for a name that has a hint of hyperbole humor. For example, imagine a little Chihuahua named Moose, Hercules or Bruiser! These names will certainly bring a smile to everyone’s face.
4) Because small dogs are famous for their great personalities and audacious attitudes, you can look for a name that refers to this trait. Diva, Princess, Jock and Napoleon are examples of names with attitude!
Of course, if none of these suggestions work for you and your chihuahua, there are numerous other options. Here are some more tips to help guide you:
1) Use your hobbies to inspire you. If you are a golfer, how about the name Putter? Like to read? Choose the name of your favorite author!
2) Think of famous people: presidents, royalty, movie stars, scientists, inventors … the list goes on. If there is someone you admire or whose name you like, you can call your Chihuahua after them.
3) Look at the other physical attributes of your Chihuahua, such as their color and markings. How about Q-Tip for a White Chihuahua or Oreo for a Black and White?
4) Choose names of other languages. If you are looking for something a bit out of the ordinary, choose a native American Chihuahua name like Yoki (rain) or a Japanese Chihuahua name like Kabuki (Japanese-drama dance).
5) See name books and pet websites. You’ll find hundreds, if not thousands, of pet names to choose from.
As I mentioned, there are numerous options when it comes to choosing a name for your Chihuahua. Use your imagination to help make the process fun and creative. You can also visit 123Tinki for some really interesting, unique ideas. Remember: you are naming your dog, not your firstborn (although in my family there is some debate that the dog is more preferred than the firstborn)!
The only names you should avoid are those that sound like commands and names that are humiliating to your Chihuahua. In addition, names of one or two syllables are generally considered preferable as they are easier to pronounce and easier to understand for your dog. Of course, do not let this limit you! You can choose the name you want, remember to call it dozens of times a day, so a shorter form or a nickname may be more convenient for everyday use.